Popular tips

What documents are needed for an ITIN?

What documents are needed for an ITIN?

Below is the list of the only acceptable documents:

  • Passport (stand-alone document) *
  • National identification card (must show photo, name, current address, date of birth, and expiration date)
  • U.S. driver’s license.
  • Civil birth certificate (required for dependents under 18 years of age)
  • Foreign driver’s license.

Where do I send my ITIN application?

Submitting the form

  1. Internal Revenue Service.
  2. ITIN Operation.
  3. P.O. Box 149342.
  4. Austin, TX 78714-9342.

How do I use an ITIN?

The ITIN is used in place of an SSN on a tax return to identify you, your spouse, or dependent without an SSN, on the tax return. For example, if you are an immigrant in the U.S. who has applied for legal status to work or reside in the U.S., you would need an ITIN to file a tax return while waiting for a decision.

Who is eligible for ITIN?

ITIN. An ITIN, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, is a tax processing number only available for certain nonresident and resident aliens, their spouses, and dependents who cannot get a Social Security Number (SSN). It is a 9-digit number, beginning with the number “9”, formatted like an SSN (NNN-NN-NNNN).

How to get my Itin?

Completing an accurate Form W-7

  • Printing out the completed Form W-7
  • Gathering relevant id information
  • Attaching federal income tax return (tax returns if more than one)
  • Sending an application with all this information to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
  • How to locate your Itin?

    How to Find an ITIN Number. Step 1. Locate copies of previous years’ tax returns. The ITIN will be located on the first page where a Social Security Number or Tax Identification Step 2. Step 3.

    Where to send ITIN application?

    Mail the application to Internal Revenue Service, ITIN Operation, P. O. Box 149342, Austin, TX 78714-9342. See Q&A 13 for information if you do not want to mail documents to the IRS.

    Where to file Itin?

    Mail your W-7, tax return, proof of identity, and foreign status documents to: Internal Revenue Service. Austin Service Center. ITIN Operation. P.O. Box 149342. Austin, TX 78714-9342. You will only file a tax return to the address above once, when you file Form W-7 to get an ITIN.