Users' questions

Is there a drain plug for the transmission fluid?

Is there a drain plug for the transmission fluid?

If it is a manual transmission, it will typically have a large drain plug on the bottom of the transmission housing. If it is an automatic transmission, it will either have a large drain plug on the housing, a drain plug on the transmission pan, or the transmission pan will need to be removed.

Can I add a drain plug to my transmission pan?

With the pan off the car, simply drill a hole and bolt in the drain plug kit. With this quick, simple, and efficient modification in place, future ATF changes can be much simpler and neater. The non-magnetic plug is designed for use in most transmission pans that did not come with a factory drain.

Where is the fill plug on a transmission?

Most of the time, the filler plug is a large bolt located about halfway up the side of the transmission.

How much transmission fluid is needed for a change?

A typical fluid change will require anywhere from 3 to 6 quarts of ATF depending on the application, a new filter and a pan gasket (or RTV sealer) for the transmission pan.

How do you drain transmission fluid without losing the pan?

How to Change Transmission Fluid Without Removing the Pan

  1. Start and run the engine.
  2. Park and secure the vehicle.
  3. Place the bucket under the transmission drain pan.
  4. Carefully remove the drain plug using a socket wrench with the appropriate socket.
  5. Replace the crush washer.
  6. Replace the drain plug.

How do you put in a drain plug?

INSTALLATION OF A NEW DRAIN PLUG: Drill a hole in the desired location with a 1 inch drill bit. Lay the drain plug flange, with the drain plug in it, into the hole you have just drilled. Push hard until the plug fits firmly.

Can you just add transmission fluid?

Usually, you should not have to add transmission fluid. If the level is down significantly below the “Add” or “Cold” line, you probably have a system leak and should take the car to your mechanic to have your car inspected for leaks by a technician.