Can I apply to court for child maintenance?

Can I apply to court for child maintenance?

Liability order from a court CMS can take you to court over unpaid child maintenance. They can apply for a court order to take legal action. This is a ‘liability order’. If the court grants the order, CMS can then legal action against you.

How do I apply for maintenance in court?

A person seeking a maintenance order can go to their local District Court and get the Court Clerk to issue a maintenance summons against the other spouse. Information on applying for maintenance and the forms used is available on the Courts Service website. Legal advice and representation is always advisable.

How long does a child maintenance court order last?

Any financial provision that the court orders will last until your child reaches 18 unless she or he is, or would be, in full time education or training or there are special reasons why the provision should continue (e.g. because your child has a disability and requires further support).

Can CSA take you to court?

If you don’t pay what you owe, or make payment arrangements with the CMS / CSA, they can apply to the court for a ‘liability order’. This means further action can be taken to recover the debt.

What happens after a child maintenance court order?

After a court order has been in place for a year either parent can make an application to the Child Maintenance Service. Any assessment by the Child Maintenance Service will then override the court order.

Can you get a consent order for Child Maintenance?

If you are involved in Court proceedings to divide assets following a divorce or dissolution of a civil partnership and can agree child maintenance you can apply to court to have this agreement turned into a consent order.

What do you need to apply for Child Maintenance?

Visit the nearest magistrates’ court to apply for child maintenance and take the following documents Birth certificate of your child/children. Your identity document. Proof of residence. A divorce settlement.

Can a maintenance of Parents Act application be made in the FJC?

Maintenance of Parents Act (Cap. 167B) Applications can be made in the FJC in respect of maintenance including: Fresh application for maintenance for a spouse (including an incapacitated husband) or child; Enforcement of an existing maintenance order for a spouse, ex-spouse (including an incapacitated husband) or child;