How to get into the finance sector
Finance careers are gaining widespread popularity across the world, thanks to the rapid growth of the industry and the availability of a range of job opportunities within the sector. More students are steering in the direction of a finance course to acquire a well-paid and challenging job. In fact, a career in finance might be just the right thing for you, especially if you have an affinity for accounting and numbers. However, before aiming to pursue a postgraduate degree in finance, it is essential to lay the right foundation to walk the path. Taking up an undergraduate degree in commerce can help you start your journey of entering the finance sector.
This blog can serve as a quick guide to help you find out how you can enter the finance sector. Read on to get better insights.
Skills required to enter the finance sector
- An accounting qualification: Acquiring a professional accounting qualification can help you develop the necessary skills to enter the finance sector. Employers prefer finance professionals with a professional accounting qualification to their credit, especially since the finance sector runs on rigorous processes and regulatory standards. Professionals who are skilled to handle the demands of the finance sector will find it easier to acquire a job in the field.
- Financial reporting skills: Developing exceptional financial accounting skills can help professionals get a competitive edge over their peers. Employers require candidates who are skilled in handling the various facets of the financial sector, which includes financial reporting.
- Analytical skills: Finance is a risk-ridden sector, which makes good analytical skills a pressing need for finance professionals. Professionals who have excellent critical thinking skills and can analyse business situations to give useful insights prove to be an asset for organisations. Hence, analytical skills are essential to enter the finance sector.
- Communication skills: Exceptional communication skills are crucial for any profession, as it allows you to express yourself comprehensibly. As a finance professional, you will be required to interpret data into simple, understandable words for non-finance professionals to understand. Good communication skills can set you ahead of your peers.
- Business acumen and industry knowledge: While finance-specific skills are indispensable for someone who wants to enter the finance sector, it is equally important to have extensive knowledge about how a business works. Finance professionals should be well-aware of how to assess the relationship between a company’s fiscal behaviour and market demands.
- People skills: Though the popular notion might be that finance professionals usually take up desk jobs, that belief has been long proven false. Today, finance professionals have to interact and build successful relationships with clients. Hence, people skills are paramount for professionals within the finance sector.
Educational qualification required to enter the finance sector
- Choose the best BCom (Bachelor of Commerce) degree in Canada for your undergraduate discipline.
- After completing the undergraduate degree, opt for a postgraduate degree in finance or related fields or acquire a professional accounting qualification.
- Intern at a finance firm during the course of your postgraduate degree to gain on-the-job experience.
- Develop relevant skills, as suggested above, to enter the finance sector.
- Create a resume that highlights your academic qualifications, strengths and additional skills.
- Once you are all set, apply for your dream job!
If you want to begin a career in finance, research about the best courses that can help you enter the field. Start your research today and embark on the journey!